Energy-efficient proxy service for data communication
- Up to 80% energy saving in mobile browsing in 2G&3G networks
- Longer battery life in mobile browsing
- Faster content download, typically 10-60%
- Less traffic in the network, avg. 11%
- Less network signaling load
- Easy deployment as proxy
- Does not change original content
- Works with a separate app or without modifications on a HTML5-browser
- Faster service
- Premium network service for operators
- Product differentiation for hardware vendors
The limited battery life of mobile handheld devices is a challenge. Also, most of the valuable content on the Internet are web services with a lot of short data transfers (e.g. web pages). People expect the same quality from mobile and fixed networks.
Therefore, new methods of energy-efficient and fast delivery of mobile web content are essential for prolonging battery life and enhancing the Quality of Experience of mobile users.
We have designed a new proxy service to enhance the communication of end user devices, smart phones and tablets in particular. This novel solution gathers all the content targeted to the end user at the proxy before sending it from the proxy to user in one single transfer. This simple concept provides great benefits. We turn multiple smart content requests into larger transfers that are more efficient to deliver, in terms of energy and latency.
The benefits of the solution are best seen with slower or congested networks.
Solution is experimentally proven by prototypes and benefits quantified.
Patent Pending: WO2013124000
Priority date 09.05.2012
Professor Jukka Manner, Le Wang
Department of Communications, School of Electrical Engineering
Phone: +358 40 186 3320
Aalto Center for Entrepreneurship